Experienced Linux Administrator Needed - Local or Remote Work Options Available
Hey there, thanks for checking out this opportunity! We can’t wait to meet you!
If you like to find and solve problems and take pride in setting up linux platforms that are defended well, optimized, and always current, this opportunity is for you. We’ve been rolling with penguins for a long time and need a new set of hands to meet the needs of our growing organization.
Take a look at some details below, then tell us about yourself!
- Server Deployment and Configuration
Install, configure, and maintain Linux servers, including but not limited to CentOS, Ubuntu, and Red Hat, ensuring high availability and optimal performance
- System Administration
Perform routine system administration tasks such as user management, system monitoring, backup and recovery, and security patching.
Infrastructure Management: Manage and monitor server hardware, virtualization platforms (e.g., VMware, KVM), and cloud services (e.g., AWS, GCP)
- Security and Compliance
Implement and maintain security measures, firewalls, and access controls to protect the integrity and confidentiality of data. Ensure compliance with industry standards and regulations
- Troubleshooting and Issue Resolution
Diagnose and resolve system-related issues, perform root cause analysis, and implement corrective actions to minimize downtime.
- Scripting and Automation
Develop and maintain scripts (e.g., Shell, Python) to automate routine tasks and streamline system processes.
- Performance Optimization
Identify and address performance bottlenecks, optimize system configurations, and ensure efficient resource utilization.
Create and update documentation, including system configurations, procedures, and policies, to ensure knowledge sharing and continuity.
Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including developers and network administrators, to support project initiatives and troubleshoot issues. Additionally, work with third parties to coordinate maintenance and operational activities
Required Skill Set
- Hands-on experience with administering Linux servers including
- Configuration and troubleshooting of MySQL databases
- Hosting of web and mobile applications
- Management of general network nodes (e.g. load balancers, firewalls, etc)
- Direct experience with AWS cloud services is a plus
- Previous working experience as a Linux Administrator for 2+ years, either employed or demonstrated through volunteer or personal projects
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent experience
- Full understanding of Linux permissions and access control
- Proficiency in basic Bash scripting or other scripting languages (excluding PHP)
- Good understanding of routing, subnetting, and general TCP/IP concepts
- Strong understanding of the HTTP lifecycle and familiarity with DevTools
- Familiarity with web security testing tools such as Postman and BURP
- Understanding of web vulnerabilities and the ability to identify and address them
- Ability to analyze web server logs to distinguish legitimate from malicious traffic and take appropriate action, including IP blocking, subnet blocking, or even country-level blocking as necessary
- Good organizational skills to manage server configurations and documentation effectively
- Ability to break down larger problems into smaller, manageable tasks and address them independently
- Natural curiosity and proactive problem-solving attitude – the ability to notice and address anomalies or issues rather than letting them go unnoticed
- Solid knowledge of transport protocols such as DNS, HTTP, LDAP, and SMTP
- Strong problem-solving and communication skills
- The ability to adapt and prioritize in periods of high activity
- The ability to work well within a team
- Strong knowledge of security best practices
- Experience with the WHM/cPanel stack
- In-depth understanding of databases with proficiency in writing/interpreting SQL queries a plus
- Additional Linux certifications (RHCT, RHCE, and LPIC) are an advantage
- A fun, relaxed working environment
- Flexible scheduling
- It’s casual day every day (yep, jeans and your favorite superhero t-shirt are ok)
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance options
- Retirement savings 401k plan, with up to 6% company match (free money, good stuff)
- Paid time off
- Paid Holidays
- Bonus participation (based on performance)
- A team that is a bunch of smart humans that are awesome to work with