With the number of smartphone users exceeding 6.3 billion in the world today, it should no longer be a question if a business should adapt their products or services for mobile devices but rather how to approach it in the right way. In today’s world every company is being forced to become a software company to compete. The first decision a business should make is whether to go for a responsive web application or native mobile application development.
Every business is different and it ultimately depends on what business does and how it interacts with its customers to determine which mobile development path to take. Often a mobile-optimized website can serve an organization’s needs just as well as a mobile app while requiring fewer developers, fewer resources and time to create, and less maintenance after the main build. Business owners should ask themselves how a hypothetical native mobile app would be different from their mobile-optimized website. If the differences are insignificant, they are better off investing their resources in mobile optimized and accessible web development.
It is also worth mentioning that both mobile web application and native mobile application development have their pros and cons.
- Lower cost of development
- Cross-platform accessibility
- No apps to download and install on mobile
- Indexed content on various search engines
- Potentially more shareable content
- Requires internet connection
- Potentially slower performance
- Limited support for native device features
- Less interactive capabilities
- Less personalization capabilities
- More personalization and better performance
- Consistency with native app OS design
- More interactive elements
- Offline content
- Works seamlessly with native device features
- Runs only on the OS it’s designed for
- Expensive to build
- Higher costs of acquiring new users
- Higher ongoing maintenance costs
When facing an important investment decision such as mobile web or app development, businesses should carefully review their options. They should ask themselves, what fits their business goals better and what would satisfy their customer base more and go from there. If in doubt and need help with making your decision, our experienced UX and development team will be happy to help, just give us a shout.
~ Lily S.